Tips for a Clogged Drain – Newington Plumbing Services
A clogged drain can frustrating but there are a few different methods you can try to clear a clogged drain. Depending on the severity of the blockage as well as the type of drain the clog is present in, a plumber with specialized tools and expertise may be required to help identify and remove stubborn clogs. If you are in the Greater Hartford area, call the professionals at Kud-Pro Plumbing & Drain Cleaning for more information or to have an expert come out and clear the blockage. Located in Newington, our experts service all of Greater Hartford.
General Steps For Clearing A Clogged Drain
- If the clog is caused by soap scum or grease, it may be able to be cleared by pouring boiling water down the drain. Be sure to confirm that the material your sink or tub is made with can handle boiling water before attempting this method.
- Using a plunger can be effective for blockages that are located near the drain opening. A plunger can help create enough suction to dislodge the blockage.
- A drain snake or auger can be used to physically remove a clog from your drain. Insert the snake into the drain and twist, then push and pull the snake back and forth to break up the clog.
- Chemical drain cleaners can be used if the blockage is something that cannot otherwise be dissolved with boiling water. Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and use the proper protective gear. Chemical drain cleaners can be dangerous if not used properly or makes contact with your skin.
- Call a plumber: If none of these methods work, then it is time to call a plumber. With specialized tools and expertise, we are able to identify and remove clogs safely.
The best way to avoid clogged drains entirely is with prevention before a blockage is able to form. Although some clogs are unavoidable, there are certainly things you can do on a normal basis to prevent a blockage from ever forming.
Preventing A Drain Clog
- Make sure to dispose of food waste properly. This is a common cause for blockages in kitchen sinks.
- Avoid pouring grease down the drain. The grease builds up and prevents the water from flowing as it should.
- Use drain screens to catch hair and debris. Drain screens prevent unwanted items that could cause a blockage from entering the drain.
- Avoid flushing non-biodegradable items down the toilet. Be sure that you are only flushing items that are meant to be flushed.
When in doubt it is best to contact a professional. So if these steps did not clear your clogged drain, call Kud-Pro Plumbing & Drain Cleaning to take care of the blockage. Local to Newington and servicing the Greater Hartford area, Kud-Pro Plumbing is a family owned and operated business offering a full range of plumbing services.